Are you looking for the best solar charger for backpacking? Well, look no more! In this article we will describe the many aspects of solar chargers and then give you our top 3 picks for solar charger for back packing.
What is a solar Charger?
Solar Charger is a device similar to any other mobile charger but it uses solar energy instead of conventional electric power to charge your device. Solar Energy is collected through solar panels which convert the solar energy to electricity using its photo voltaic cells which is then used for charging. Some of them do have a charging bank along them but not necessarily.
Use of solar charger
With the advancement in technology, mobile phones have become the necessity of today’s world rather than a luxury. We can find the location to any specific area, pay your bills, communicate with anyone, even earn on it. But all of this is only possible if your mobile remains on all the time which is not possible as every battery needs to be recharged no matter how efficient it is. So what are you going to do if you are in the middle of hike and suddenly your phone goes off. Well that’s when the solar charger hops in with its capability of charging your device with the sunlight.
Do we really need them?
Well the answer to this question depends on the kind of person you are. If you are a traveller-kind-of person you must buy it instantly as it’ll charge your phone on a tiring hike or during a visit to far off desert. But if you are more of an indoor person who always has easy access to the socket then you should pass. Also if you are a resident of a sunny area it will benefit you a lot but residents of a rainy or colder region should look for other options.
Factors to consider before buying
Well it’s always handy to carry a solar charger with you but before you set your foot out to buy one. There are a few things that you must consider:
- Large-Area Panels:
The solar panel with greater surface area will surely absorb more sunlight and thus will produce more electricity in a set amount of time. This feature is also useful in times when you have a very limited amount of time to stay in sunlight as it can charge your device way faster and also on a rainy cold day when the sunlight intensity is relatively less. Tough the smaller solar chargers are easier to carry but are less efficient.
- Foldable feature:
This feature solves the problem of large space taken by the greater solar panels. A mini pack of solar charger fully transforms into three or four sided panel as it unfolds from a single solar panel. Thus provide large surface area for absorption of sunlight.
- Output Current:
You must see the output rating of the charger before buying one. As a 2A charger will surely charge the device faster than a 1A charger. Well often there is more than one port for charging multiple devices simultaneously. But do check the total output capability of these ports as they tend to decrease when you charge multiple devices at a time.
The Top 5 Best Solar Chargers for Backpacking:
Well as all products have their own pros and cons but some of them do have additional features as they shine on the top of our list. Let’s have a look:
#1 Best Solar Charger for Backpacking:
The first one to top our list is the solar charger by Feelle which ranks at second position in Cell phone solar charger. It has 3-layer foldable solar panels with light weight of 1.12 pounds which makes it an ideal partner to carry on backpack. The 24000 mAh battery of this device can charger a cell phone more than ten times and also at an efficient speed as it has 2A output capability at both of its ports. Its waterproof level of IPX65 enables the charger to work properly even in rainy days. The solar panels are further covered by leather, which can protect the solar panels from rain better. The solar charger also has bright flashlight with 3 modes (Steady-SOS-Strobe) making it awesome for outside activities such as camping, hiking, traveling and other emergency use.
- 24000mAh Power Bank: Built in Eco-friendly 24000mAh Li-Polymer battery, the phone battery can fully charge an iPhone 6s for 10 times, iPhone 7 for 9 times, Samsung S7 for 5.5 times, ipad Air for 3 times.
- Large Solar Panels and Fast Charging : Portable Solar charger with 3 highly efficiency solar panels, which could recharge itself expeditiously, which is 3 – 5 times faster than the other solar chargers.
- Waterproof USB Output: Dual charging ports which offer 2.1A high speed charging allow you to charge 2 devices simultaneo. The USB ports is waterproof, shockproof and dustproof, perfect for outdoor activity .
- LED Use:The solar charger has bright flashlight with 3 modes(Steady-SOS-Strobe), Awesome for outside activities such as camping, hiking, traveling and other emergency use.
- What You Get：1 × 24000mAh solar charger, 1 × micro USB cable, 1× user manual. This solar charger is perfect for outdoor activities.
#2 Best Solar Charger for Backpacking:
Using the power of three High-efficiency solar panels, the Nekteck 21W Solar Charger is your new best friend when you’re far from home. Travel with ease using the charger’s bungee loops which attach to your backpack. Unfold the device and expose the 21 watts Sunpower solar panel, each section putting out approximately 800~1000mA under strong sunlight. Dual USB charging ports allow up to two devices to recharge at once at a maximum output current of 3 Amps total. No matter where you go, the Nekteck Triple Panel Solar Charger will be ready for you.
- 【High-Efficieny】The high-efficiency of its three solar Monocrystalline panels cell is based on SunPower Maxeon technology, that allows them to reach 21%-24% of conversion efficiency while providing enough power (up to 2.0A max per port or 3.0 A max overall)
- 【Advanced Smart IC Chip Technology】 Microchip support to detects the electronic devices plugged into the USB ports for fast charging two phones simultaneously under safe conditions as well as the prevention of overheating
- 【Portable and Foldable】The 6.3x 11.1x 1.06 inch (when folded ) small size and 17.3-ounce design that can easily squeeze in your backpack offers portability and simplicity, and the attachment hook makes it ideal for connecting to a backpack while you’re on the hiking or walking around town
- 【Dualable Design】The canvas surface and precision stitching withstand rugged for outdoor use and the PET polymer cover that guarantees IPX4 waterproof level protection will make the panels resistant to water and even dust
- 【Package】Nekteck 21W Solar Charging Panel, 2.6ft(80cm)Micro USB Cable, User Manual
#3 Best Solar Charger for Backpacking:
The third one to top our list is the solar charger by RAVPower. It has 4 foldable 15 W solar panels and has an efficiency of 21%. This portable light weight charger is easy to carry along you while you go for backpacking. Its advanced combination of iSmart and Smart IC technologies will detect all connected devices’ individual input and distribute the total output accordingly to the appropriate charge they can benefit from. The charger has iSmart technology which automatically adjusts to connected devices and provides the optimal charging current to minimize charging time. A finely refined waterproof fabric to outlast whatever the weather throws at it. This product is equipped with 4 practical hooks to always catch as much sunlight as possible, and also has 2 iSmart USB cables. This is the best travel companion for your smartphone, camera, and any other USB device that ran out of power.
- High Energy Conversion: Ravpower highly efficient solar cells convert up to 21. 5-23. 5% of solar power into free energy. Charge up to two USB devices simultaneously and forget what it feels like to have to look for a socket.
- Important Note: Please DO NOT lay the solar panel directly on CONCRETE, SAND, ROCK or other high heat conduction surfaces in direct sunlight – this will cause the solar panel to overheat and significantly reduce the conversion rate and output wattage
- Smart IC: Smart IC frequency technology detects all connected devices’ input and distributes current output accordingly for up to 3. 2A
- Charge Smarter: iSmart technology automatically adjusts to connected devices and provides the optimal charging current to minimize charging time
- Compact Size: One of the most compact solar chargers on the market. Benefit from free solar energy in a lightweight foldable format you can always carry with you no matter where you go
#4 Best Solar Charger for Backpacking:
- Two Charging Methods: 5V/2A Max Input via the outlet which will help save half time than most other silimar power banks; Solar +Powered anywhere under the direct sunlight, quite convenient for outdoor using.
- Great Capacity with 10000mAh: supports about 2 recharges for your Galaxy S6;Dual USB Output: with 2 5V/2A Max output ports, supports fast charging for 2 devices simultaneoulsy.
- Compact and Durable Design: lightweight with hanger, easy to hang on your backpack for outdoors; waterproof/shockproof/dustproof,quite durable and userfriendly design for outdoor using.
- Built in mini LED Flashlight- with three modes available(Normal /SOS /Strobe), convenient to control with one button. SOS mode is specially designed for emergency use.
- Reliable & Safety:Premium battery cells and sophisticated smart ICs. Multiple circuit protection prevents short circuits, over-heating, over-discharging and over-charging. Note: We suggest customers charge it from electricity source before taking a trip, as the solar charging is for emergency use only
#5 Best Solar Charger for Backpacking:
- Qi WIRELESS & SOLAR POWER – NEWEST 10,000mAh power bank. Not just wireless power bank but wireless charger as well compatible with iPhone XR/ XR MAX/ XS/ X/ 8/ 8plus, Samsung Galaxy S9/S9plus S8/S8plus and all qi-enabled devices. Truly cable-free and tangle-free.
- Solar charging is an additional feature, the actual result may not be as positive as you expect for the small panel size, large capacity and uncontrollable sunlight intensity.
- EXTENSIVE TESTED CHARGING TIMES – The charging times of BLAVOR wireless power bank have been extensively tested. Itself can be fully recharged around 6hours with 5V/2A adapter, It can charge iphone7plus up to 2.2times, iPhone X up to 2.3times, iphone8 up to 3.5times. Best resources of emergency power.
- 【STURDY DURABLE AND COMPACT SIZE】BLAVOR power bank is made of premium ABS fireproof materials and premium lithium polymer battery, highly sturdy and durable. IPX4 Splash proof,Its equipped with USB, type C, two flashlights and a compass kit. Light weight and compact size. NOTE: Type C is an input port not an output!
- 【BLAVOR QUALITY & DECLARATION】We offer 30 days hassle-free return service and timely & considerate customer services, eliminating all your worries about getting BLAVOR products. NOTE: BLAVOR is the exclusive seller and manufacturer of the solar power bank. Be careful about other counterfeits and we are not responsible for products sold by other sellers. Make sure you only buy it from BLAVOR
These solar battery chargers will make sure you NEVER run out of power…unless of course it rains and there’s no sun. Then you are out of luck my friend. But if you keep them charged up, they will help you on a rainy day. Good luck and stay charged up! Don’t forget that the energy from the sun is 100% FREE and CLEAN. Save money while saving the planet.
Join the Utility Hacker Revolution! The planet needs us NOW!
Save money while saving the planet. Join our mailing list for tips and tricks to reduce your carbon footprint while saving money. Humanity and the Earth as we know it depend on people like us to make responsible choices to protect civilization and the environment from harm. We promise we will not spam you or share your email with anyone.